"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Eve of Swear-in

Tomorrow is the big day. Life has been full of despedidas (good-bye parties), last minute paperwork, and many emotions. My host mother took me to Antigua today to pick up the dress she had picked out and bought for me to wear at the ceremony tomorrow. It's all too much.
I remember when I got here, how slowly time passed, and now it seems like it's flying. But when I look back on training, I've changed bastante.

In the last 3 months I've...

moved up 2 levels in Spanish

eaten chicken and beef (first time in over 11 years!)

lost 5 lbs

grown out my bangs

gotten a farmers' tan

made 4 really great friends, and many others

gotten the most sleep per night since summer vacation circa 7th grade

gotten used to riding on chicken buses

learned to tortear

been inspired by many wonderful people, volunteers, trainees, Guatemalans, family and friends.

...I want to thank you all back home for your continuing support through my training. I'm going to need it in these next few months. I love and miss you all.

Hannah


2 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah
    I'm very proud of you and all you have accomplished in such a short time. I know you will continue to have interesting and challenging experiences.
    Love,
    Dad
    PS- Let's see if you can gain back those 5 pounds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Hann,

    How did the swearing-in ceremony go? So, are you "official?" I have so enjoyed reading your posts, as well as Grandma Mary. I check every day! Let's see if this actually works. I finally have a computer (refurb, and dell, no less) and service (Clear), so I can now spend a little more time on the computer!

    More later if this actually works! (just created a google email address)

    Love ya,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete