"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mandarines!


Mandarine harvest is in full swing…I fear I might develop an ulcer. Fresh mandarines are SO SO good. I've never tasted anything like it. They're so fresh…right off the tree…literally. And because I'm the resident Gringa, everybody gifts them to me. I'm averaging between 5-10 a day. It's great. Weird, though...mandarines are green here. Oranges, too. Some of them get a little bit yellow, but they never turn orange. This crazy Gringo guy I met in a Pais (Guatemalan Wal-Mart) told me that the only reason oranges in the States are orange is because we use chemicals and paint to alter their color. Don't know if I believe him, but it is a bit weird...

Went on my normal run today, although today I was ambushed by a bunch of 9-year olds who desperately wanted to know the English translations to their names. They don't quite get that not all Guatemalan names transfer over. My personal favorite is Queen (Reina). I think Queen Latifah is the only one who can pull it off. Then they decided to run with me, the whole 5k. They did a surprisingly good job at keeping up, too. Leave it to a bunch of 9-year olds to make me feel out of shape.

1 comment:

  1. Yummm!! I love mandarine oranges! I really want to start running I went on Monday and actually ran far for me...not far for a normal person though. I miss you! School is going ok its a little busy right now but I love the actual teaching in front of the class. I switched to a new organic shampoo and conditioner and like it a lot. That's all that is new lol! My new goal is to blog once a weekend. Hopefully that will give you a little update on our lives. I need your g chat cause I hear you are on all the time but its not on my buddies or whatever its called.

    ReplyDelete