"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beach beach beach


I don't know why I love the beach so much. I grew up in Chicago, for God's sake. But there's something about lying in hot sand with the suns cancer-rays beating down on my skin that just does it for me. So for Thanksgiving weekend I spend 13 hours on a bus (one way, mind you) to do just that--bake in the sun on a beach. My guidebooks tell me that Monterrico is Guatemala's best beach, located way down on the south coast, on the Pacific. There's still not a whole lot to the town of Monterrico, just a few tourist hostels, some bars, and of course miles of black sand beaches. There's also a sea turtle hatchery where sea-turtles (now very much endangered due to egg poaching, net fishing, and pollution) are bred and released into the sea. Other than that, it's just like any other little Guatemalan town. And that was fine with me. I spent my weekend on the beach, lying in a hammock with a book, and enjoying ice-cold fruit licuados. It was delightful. And that I'm definitely thankful for.

4 comments:

  1. You get your adoration from the beach from your mama and me, Ms. Hannah! We used to awaken at 4 a.m. to drive to Port Aransas (Texas Gulf coast) for the day; would climb onto our floats and sleep/drift for hours. Later that same day: drive home crying because we were burnt to a crisp! And when we had money, we'd spring for an el cheapo no tell-motel for the night. I'm sure that you remember going to South Padre when you were 8 or 9. Anyway, I'm glad that you had a relaxing time; that's what beaches are for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes indeed. Your beach day sounds like a PERFECT day. I can feel the warm rays as I write! Your Aunt and I did have some crazy beach trips. We are sun worshipers too. Glad your trip was great. What's a fruit licuado??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely a good thing that I got my beach fill. It's been horribly cloudy and rainy since I've been back in site. I fear my laundry will never dry..
    A fruit licuado is a fruit smoothie!(licuado=liquified) You're gonna have to beef up that Spanish vocab before you visit me, ma!

    xoxo
    h

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah
    So.....did you see any turtles?
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete