"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

As I write this I sit upstairs in an Antigua hostel, on a sheetless bed, listening to the hostel owner scold his reticent child for making noise during their movie.  I am the only patron at this hostel, and it's nice.  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week I spent in Antigua with somewhere in the range of 200-250 fellow PCV's, who flocked to the Old City for the annual All-Volunteer Conference and Fourth of July Party--the only Peace Corps condoned all-volunteer events of the year.  Thus these few days were abnormally social, a bit overwhelming at times, not to mention full of yummy American food (grilled veggie burgers--I almost cried), overpriced beer, and drunken Gringos dancing.  Needless to say, also exhausting, so yesterday I stowed happily away to Monterrico to spend my 4th of July holiday on the beach with some close friends.  Despite being slightly overcast (afterall it is winter/the rainy season) the beach was wonderful, and even though I won't be watching any fireworks tonight, I spent my holiday jogging barefoot on the beach, laying poolside chatting with Lizzy and Kyle (two of my all-time favorite people, I will add), and slurping down banana licuados while watching the waves.  Not too shabby, if you ask me.

Tomorrow I'm off and back to site where I'll be jumping right back into work and scrambling to get things done before the end of the month when I'll be returning to Antigua for Mid-Service Conference shortly followed by a 10-day visit by Mom, Aunt Cass, and Emma--my very first visitors!!

1 comment:

  1. love you too gdalman, thanks for giving us your undivided attention ;)

    ReplyDelete