"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Midservice, an anniversary

The 16th of July marked one year since I swore in as a Peace Corps volunteer in Guatemala.  I am officially at mid-service and have just 12 months left here.  In terms of my PC service, it's the beginning of the end.

Another week in Antigua.  Midservice meds are done and I am happily cavity, TB, and intestinal parasite-free.  One final day of midservice technical conference and I'm returning to the campo where I am anxious to jump back into work.  Four nights of hot showers, sushi dinners, beer on tap, and time with some lovely friends, and here I sit, on the side of the Carchá highway, waiting for the road to Campur to open.  The longer I've been here, the less of a jolt it is going between the American comforts of Antigua and the total lack thereof in Alta Verapaz.  I've actually come to much prefer the latter, except for hot water.  I could live here for a decade and I'd never become inured to the cold showers of Alta.  Nevertheless, the incoming smell of Alta Verapaz dusk and dinnertime wood-fires comforts me.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see a Guatemalan couple sitting a few meters away on the curb.  The woman, who I recognize from Campur but can't quite place, is gesturing conspicuously in my direction, clearly instructing her husband to go investigate the Gringa.  A few moments later he passively moseys over and takes a seat uncomfortably close to me.  Despite the fact that I sit here scribbling intently in my journal, ipod earbuds in place, he strikes up this Qeqspañol conversation, one that I've had a million times since arriving last year.

-Where are you going?
-Campur (I put down my notebook and remove my earbuds, trying to hide my annoyance)
-Where are you coming from?
-Antigua, I was there for a few days doing work, now I'm returning to Campur where I live.
-You live in Campur?
-Yes, I live and work there.
-Oh (pause).  Were you born here?
-No, I'm from the United States.  I'm just here on a two-year work contract as a volunteer.  I rent a house in Campur.
-Oh (longer pause). And your parents are in Campur?
-No, they live in the United States.
-Oh (pause). You're here all alone?
-Yes, all alone.  Do you live in Campur?  I've seen your wife over there around the center.
-Yes, I live in Campur, but 2 hours by foot from there in another village, do you work in Santa Domingo?
-No, I only work in three villages (I list them).
-Oh.  You speak Q'eqchi'?
-A little, I respond in Q'eqchi'.
-What's your name?
-Jana, what's yours?
-Francisco.
-Nice to meet you.
-Equally.
-(Pause).  Excuse me. (Satisfied with the information he's gathered, he returns to his wife to give his report, and I return to my journal).

It's been 10 hours traveling so far, and according to the bus driver, and the dynamite blasts I hear further up the road, it will be at least 2 hours waiting here before the road will open to traffic.  But I don't really mind.  After finishing the lukewarm tamale I bought from a passerby Señora, I'll make my way back to the big yellow school bus where I'll curl up and nap until we start moving again.  I'll get home eventually.  A year here has at least taught me that.  And unlike Francisco, I won't have to walk two hours in the dark to get to my house.  The school bus will drop me off right at my front door, where I can crawl into bed and sleep the day off.

1 comment: