"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First, a safety update

In response to a few worried messages and emails from family and friends, I thought I'd give a bit of a Guatemalan security update for those of you back home.

First of all, I'm alive and well.  Really.

Last week's events (the massacre in Peten and the San Lucas bus shooting) were truly horrible, and definitely a bit frightening.  However, they don't define the state of security of Guatemala as a whole.  Peten is now under a State of Siege, just like my home of Alta Verapaz was just a few short months ago.  Once again, it's the Guatemalan government versus the Mexican drug cartels, and it isn't an easy battle.

Yes, Guatemala is a dangerous country.  Because of this, volunteers here have a lot less freedom than volunteers in other Peace Corps countries.  And sure, I worry a bit when I travel, but there's always a risk, no matter where I'm living in the world.  But if I've learned anything, it's that Peace Corps always errs on the side of caution when it comes to the safety of its volunteers.  There just wouldn't be well over 200 volunteers serving here in Guatemala if we were under any sort of direct threat.

In light of the recent events and the evacuation we underwent in December, I have my suspicions that Peace Corps Guatemala will be shut down in the future due to security concerns.  It's this possibility--the possibility that I may be forced to leave here before my service is up--that worries me much more than my direct physical safety.  I just want to be able to finish what I came here to do.  And I want my friends and family to come and visit, and see this country for what it really is, and not what it comes across to be in the news.

Guatemala: for everyone's sake, get your act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment