"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dear Emma

Dear Emma,

Happy 21st birthday, sister! I sent you a real live card in the mail, but I can't say when it will actually arrive there. Hope you are enjoying your day, and that you'll have fun but stay safe!

Thought you'd like this story: Last night I watched my host mother eat chicken feet. Like straight off the chicken, boiled, salted chicken feet. She gnawed off every piece of meat until only the bones and feet joints remained on the plate. It kind of mesmerizes me to watch people eat meat here. All the hard work is done for us beforehand in the States...boneless chicken strips, nuggets, breasts, burgers, etc. But here they really work for their meat. And they definitely waste not. Every spec of skin, fat, and meat is consumed. It's pretty fascinating. But as I was watching her eat the feet, I thought of what your face would look like if you had been sitting at that table with me. And it made my laugh.

Speaking of food, I visited an organic Macadamia nut farm today outside of Antigua this morning and ate the most amazing Macadamia nut pancakes with Macadamia nut-butter and Blueberry compote. When you come visit, I will take you there for a belated birthday pancake breakfast, mk?

Feliz cumple!
Love,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment