"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, June 14, 2010

My own personal fan club

I've made a habit of going to the square to read on the afternoons it's not raining (which are getting fewer and fewer), and I've come to notice that I only get through about a chapter before I'm surrounded by 10 or 15 youngsters, staring curiously (and quite blatantly...staring here isn't rude like it is the U.S.) at me for a few minutes, then finally a brave one amongst the crew speaks up and asks me how to say something in English, if my hair color is real, where I'm from, etc. Once the brave one has broken the ice, then I'm flooded with questions and the book goes back into my backpack. It's kind of fun to just sit back and humor the kids...and it's kind of nice company. I imagine this is what's it's like to be a B-list star in the States...people stare, some are ballsy enough to talk to you, and kids LOVE asking you questions. Oh, stardom...

1 comment:

  1. LOL thats hilarious! represent america well hannah banana

    ReplyDelete