"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Back home

Finally back in site after a rather long and exhausting week of volunteer reconnect. It was definitely nice to see my fellow PCVs (many of whom I haven't seen since training) and spend a bit of time in Antigua, but I was definitely ready to come back. Traveled home with a few tourists from the U.S. and Ireland and had a good chat with them. I've really enjoyed meeting all the travelers in Antigua this past week…so many amazing stories to hear. At first it makes me a bit jealous that I can't be a bit more mobile and jump around all of Latin America, but they've made me also see how lucky I am to be able to live here and work at the ground level. There's always time to travel, and I'm more sure than ever that I want to do a lot more of it in my lifetime. There's just so much out there to do and see and learn. But then I think back to my community: my neighbors and the women who sell me my vegetables, and they won't ever have that kind of opportunity to see the world the way I already have. And I guess, in a way, that's why I'm here. I'm sort of bringing a different part of the world to them, showing them a completely different culture without them having to travel anywhere to see it. I guess that's part of the big idea of being out here. I just have to remember that on those days when I'm sick and tired of being the resident Gringo.

No comments:

Post a Comment