"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy Friday

Went up to my women's group meeting today. The women were a bit late showing up (it was raining) so I hung out in Estella's house for a while, choking down Guatemalan coffee and chit-chatting. I was amused by this: Estella said that a man from the village went mojado to the States for a while and recently came back. He told her that in the U.S. he saw health clinics just for dogs and cats where they treat and operate on animals. She of course didn't believe him, and told him that she was going to check with me, the resident Gringa. I of course corroborated his story, explaining that Americans consider their animals as part of their family, and that I had taken my cats to such clinics in the past. She was incredulous, to say the least. She asked why we operated on our animals, and I tried to explain animal population control and neutering/spaying…I think my point was lost however. I think she was just upset that she couldn't prove him wrong.

Off to Coban tomorrow for more Q'eqchi' class and then Sunday off to Antigua for a week of Reconnect. I'm looking forward to seeing the other volunteers from my training class and having a nice week of hot showers, gringo food, gringo bars, etc.

Also, officially booked to come home for the Holidays! It's going to be so nice to see everybody for Christmas...can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your week in civilization! I hope it is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun, Hannah! I hope you're enjoying your break from the norm! Re: the package...I sent it to the last address that you posted: Tienda Villa Linda,Barrio Chajsaquil, San Pedro Carcha, etc. Was that the correct one?

    I guess I need to dig for my receipt and visit the PO!!

    Have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete