"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Crazy week

When it rains here, it pours. And I mean that literally and figuratively. I've been in site for 3 months now, during which I was in a constant battle to have enough to do. And now, one week away from the end of the academic year, you'd think that the directors of my schools just now realized that I'm here to work. In the next week I have 2 (possibly 3) teacher meetings to run, 2 parent meetings, a vacation camp to plan for November, and a library project to get up and running. On top of that, I have the flu. Wonderful. I have to be honest, it's getting to me. The fact that scheduling anything, ever, is a complete impossibility here is really hard. It makes getting anything done almost as impossible. Before coming here, the idea of a culture where scheduling and strict timelines didn't rule the land seemed a bit romantic, I've got to admit. But now that I'm not only living in one, but working in one, I realize that it's not so idyllic. Instead, the smallest of tasks become a headache. Planning anything ahead of time is unheard of. And last minute cancellations are the norm. It's really a test to my patience when I walk 2 hours to my most rural school only to find out that the parent meeting isn't happening…the parent meeting, mind you, that I had confirmed the day before.

2 comments:

  1. you will adjust to it im sure. and you will come back here and be like WOW everyone is so fast paced and we have heart attacks and stress out...can i go back to guatemala?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all you have to do, Hannah! I guess that's life everywhere; people let you down, at times, and you have to somehow roll with the disappointments. Just know that you are touching so many lives, and making such a difference. They are all so lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete