"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, October 4, 2010

Dear Liz

Dear Lizzy,

Thanks again for your lovely letter. I won't lie though, I was slightly disappointed that this one didn't include a coloring book page.

Glad to hear your job is going well…once upon a time I used to be that girl in the office asking my coworkers for projects. Beware….pretty soon you could be getting everybody's crap work. I feel like that here, sometimes…like I'm begging people to work for them…for free. Please, Mr./Mrs. Guatemalan, I'm a lonely bored Gringa who needs to feel useful. Might you need help with organizing this classroom/typing that grant/shucking those beans? I didn't realize you were planning on doing grad school next year…will you be able to keep your job (or is it just a year-long thing)? What schools are you looking at?

I'm really have a hard time imagining you being bat-shit crazy. But I'll take your word for it? Thanks for trying to cheer me up…I know everything you told me is right, it's just hard to see that right now.

I do know (and am quite fond of) the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, and I will definitely check out the Good Life. Just gotta wait until I have a good enough internet connection to download some songs.

On a side note, you guys are into Watchmen, right? I've tried to watch that movie 4 times now…just can't get through it. It's too bizarre. Maybe it's one of those that you have to have read the comic first?

Okay, and pardon my rant but are you really telling me that you can't eat ONE veg meal a WEEK? You guys eat meat every single night?? Do you know what's in that meat? Where it came from? Now I don't want to lecture you, but I would highly recommend you read either Michael Pollen's "Food Rules" or Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals" and watch the documentary "Food, Inc." To put it lightly, the American meat industry is crazy messed up, Liz. I'm talking bleak. If you were eating normal unadulterated meat, you wouldn't' be able to afford to eat meat nightly. Very few people would. If you'd like, I'll give you some good (and hardy) meatless dinner recipes. Yeah? Yeah? Okay I made my spiel…just had to give it a shot.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy staying put for a while…talk soon!

Te extraño,
Hannah

3 comments:

  1. Don't rant at me! I and most everyone I know have been eating meat ONE MEAL a day and are perfectly fine. I only have A LITTLE at dinner...so deal. I like it.

    Anyhoo, I promise your next letter will be better...the last one I agree was a little lame... my bad. And I am applying to Iniana University and Indiana State University (yes, I'm staying in Indy as I'm sure everyone is just thrilled about). And yeah Watchmen is really wierd...I wouldn't have thought it to be a movie that hannah banana would like very much. But you know my nerdy boyfriend - I guess I've been infected cuz I liked it lol.

    Thanks for writing to me!!! I will get you another letter in the near future...MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU A LOTTTTTTTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. i apologize for my rant. i still think you should read those books, though. just saying.

    your letter was by no means lame. but i look forward to the next one¡

    good luck with the apps...miss you and love you a lot back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you tooooooo Hannah and meat, sorry. What I don't love is Indy, love you Liz!

    ReplyDelete