"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Halloween!

This week has flown by. Aside from all the graduation ceremonies, graduation church services, graduation lunches, etc, I've been running around all week trying to piece together the last bits of data for my Reconnect report, which has been a real pain in the ass, to put it bluntly. Guatemalans really love ceremony and formalities, so graduation ceremonies often run about 4 hours long, with a luncheon afterwords. They take graduating really seriously, as they should…it's a really big deal for some of these students to get to where they've gotten.

I'm taking a nice weekend getaway with my volunteer friends from training. It's been 4 whole months since I've seen these girls, so it's going to be a treat to spend the weekend with them. We're heading to Semuc Champey, which is an eco-tourism reserve about 2 hours from my site. There's candelight cave-swimming, tubing, waterfalls…I'm just crossing my fingers that we have good weather. I have a double Q'eqchi class this afternoon and tomorrow morning in Coban, and then we're off.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! A well-deserved weekend with friends....sounds very relaxing, plus it'll be great to compare stories, I'm sure. So, if this is the end of the school year, how long before the one begins?

    I hope you got your package. If not, it was insured, so I can check on it on this end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new school year starts up sometime between mid-January and mid-February depending on the school.

    Still no package...did you send it to my P.O. box or the other address?

    ReplyDelete