"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Years/Feliz ano nuevo!

Happy 2011 to all!

Once again, life has proven to me that things have a way of working themselves out. If all had gone according to plan, I'd be back in Guatemala right now. Instead here I sit with Wally*, bags unpacked, with five more wonderful days to spend here at home with the people I love. Less importantly but equally thrilling, five more days of hot showers.

Due to the military siege of Alta Verapaz, all volunteers living in the region have been "temporarily relocated" until at least the 3rd of January to ensure our safety:

"A State of Siege allows the army to detain suspects and conduct searches without warrants, prohibit gun possession and public gatherings, and control the local news media. This suspension of civil rights may lead to abuse by elements brought into the Verapaz region. Under such a state, Peace Corps is unable to ensure a timely legal support to PCVs in the region if they would be detained."

The siege was scheduled to last 30 days, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't be able to go back to our sites until then...Peace Corps tends to err on the side of caution, and rightfully so.

So David (our amazing safety and security coordinator) gave me special authorization to stay in the States until the 7th due to the state of "emergency." And I couldn't be happier to have these five extra days; leaving today would have been a horrible rush...and I'd just go back and be stuck in Antigua anyway.

And here we are in 2011...I'm now one-third of the way into my service. It's hard to believe. And as hard as it's been to be back here where the grass is undeniably greener, I will go back this Friday all the more determined to make the remaining time worthwhile.

My 2011 PC resolutions:
1. Make more friends in my site.
2. Practice Q'eqchi' more often.
3. Study for and take the GRE and start thinking about my post-Peace Corps life.
4. Blog more often, even if that means blogging about the not-so-interesting stuff.
5. Yoga every day.

I'm just so thankful to have been able to come and spend this time with my friends and family...it was a break that I really needed...and it's not over! As hard as it's been to see all the things I'm missing here (possibly the understatement of 2010), it's seeing my WONDERFUL friends and family, receiving their encouragement, and hearing about all the great things that they're doing with their lives that gives me the boost I need to get myself through another year.


*Wally is my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment