"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, January 28, 2011

Update

While my finger swelling has subsided, emotions still run high. I've decided to take the "work plan" route and wait it out. It's really my only feasible option at this point. I'm completely uninterested in a site change, and I'm too stubborn to give up completely and go home (yet). So I'll wait out these 3 more weeks and see what happens. In the meantime I'll continue in my traveling vagabond fashion, and try to keep it together. It's been harder than I ever could imagine. Peace Corps volunteers become their service, and having that taken away all at once is jarring, to say the least. Luckily I have my awesome fellow volunteers to rely on...this experience, if nothing else, has brought me really close to my fellow Verapacers. We're in this together, for better or worse. So I'm finishing out this weekend in Antigua, then Sunday I'm off to stay with PCV friend Grace, where I'll be helping her lead art classes at her village's school. It'll be nice to get back out to the campo and do some semblance of work. Next weekend I have plans to climb Volcan Tajamulco, the highest peak in Central America. I figured if nothing else, I should bring in my 24th year with a bang.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! I've been catching up on your blog and continue to be impressed with your poise, courage, and ability to roll with the punches. You are making the very best of this difficult situation and I'm really, really proud of you! I hope you enjoy the adventures that you have planned and know that we're thinking about you, every day.

    Lots of love,
    Amanda L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! I really appreciate your support--miss you tons! Still on for Spring Break Guatemala '11?
    xoxox
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete