"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, January 10, 2011

La situacion

Just got out of the informational meeting on the Verapaz situation--looks like I'll be homeless until the 19th. The PC has decided that they don't yet know enough about the situation to send us back before the siege is over.

This Wednesday the Guatemalan government will be holding an inauguration in Coban to announce important political changes resulting from the siege. The siege is scheduled to come to an end the following Wednesday, the 19th. However, a brand new police force of around 325 officers and 200 soldiers will remain behind in an effort to continuously monitor the drug trafficking in the Coban area. It is the hope of the Guatemalan government to take back control of the Verapaces and keep the drug carteles and related crime under control.

So I'm in Antigua at the moment, along with the other volunteers from the Verapaz area. I think I'll be taking advantage of the upcoming days and travel out West a bit. While it is nice to have this "free" vacation time to travel and visit volunteers, I am anxious to get back to site. I have a lot of prep work to do before classes begin in a couple of weeks, and I'm worried that my women's group will think I'm ditching out on them (I have no way of contacting them in the meantime). So fingers crossed that we'll get to go back next Wednesday.

On another note, I want to thank my WONDERFUL friends and family for making my stay in the U.S. all the more special. It was really great to be able to relax and catch up with the people I love, and it's given me the charge I needed to get through the next few months. I felt so spoiled, and I'm really grateful to know that I have people back home rooting for me. I love you guys!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, It was GREAT to have you home! Glad you are safe and sound. Hope you can get back to your site as scheduled. We're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete