"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, January 24, 2011

Now what?

And the Peace Corps Roller-coaster continues. I've had an inexplicable intuition ever since I got here to Guatemala that for some reason out of my control, I wasn't going to finish my 2 years of service. I am now staring that intuition in the face.

Just got back from a meeting about the Alta Verapaz situation. In a nutshell, the siege is scheduled to continue until at least midnight on February 17th. We've been under "relocation" for 45 days now, which forces Peace Corps Washington to evaluate the situation, choose a course of action, and offer us options accordingly. My options are as follows:

1. Site change. Allow my project coordinator to choose a brand new site for me in another part of Guatemala. I would be a first generation YD volunteer (the first volunteer in that village/town), which means I'd be starting from scratch. My COS date wouldn't change unless I chose to extend past the two-year mark.
2. Interrupted Service. This would allow me to leave service here in Guatemala penalty-free. I would then be able to re-apply (with preferential treatment) for an alternative Peace Corps post elsewhere if I so choose.
3. Wait. I can continue waiting, living out of my bag until the 18th, when the decision may be made for me to return to site. There's no guarantee, however.

They want a decision by Thursday. And honestly, I'm pretty lost. If I continue to play the waiting game, there's a good chance I won't be able to go back to site anyway. Or that I'll get to go back and shortly thereafter be removed one again due to related security issues involving the drug cartels, or perhaps more likely, social unrest caused by the upcoming elections. In the meantime, I'd be wasting time I could be spending working on a site transfer or a new assignment in another country. On the other hand, starting from scratch in a brand new site is extremely unappealing to me. I loved my site, and after 6 months there, I felt that I was just starting to crack the surface and make some change (ironically I just got word that the pila project proposal has made it through to Washington). I just don't know if I can go through the integration battle all over again.

Consequently today alone I've eaten an Oreo-M&M McFlurry and an entire bag of Sour Cream and Onion Ruffles. This relocation is actually clogging my soon-to-be-24-year-old arteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment