"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

And I'm 24

Happy Birthday to me! Thanks to all for your concerns and lovely birthday wishes! I can't believe my 23rd year has come and gone. It's hard to believe that I've spent most of that year here in Guatemala living la vida chapina.

Arrived in Xela on Sunday and decided to forgo the hospital (I really, really hate hospitals). I had made it through 3 bus rides without throwing up, so the PC nurse and I decided I could stay put and see if I improved by the next day. Sure enough, my stomach issues were gone as quickly as they came, and I am feeling fine. I'm taking it easy today, hanging out in Xela, enjoying the city and the sunshine. Plans for later include Indian food and celebrating with some American travelers I've met along the way. I'm just glad I'm not going to spend today hugging a toilet.

Today also marks 7 weeks since I was evacuated from my site. It's funny that these 7 weeks have felt like a lifetime, and my last year of life flew by in a flash. I've already begun to prepare myself for the changes that the next few months will surely bring. But for now, I'm going to continue rolling with the punches and making the best of it. Because if I've learned anything, it's that tomorrow will surely bring a whole new bundle of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment