"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday

Back in Antigua after my week in the West. After recovering from the weekend, it was nice to have a few days to spend hanging around Xela. It was only my second time in Quetzaltenango, so it was all still pretty new to me. I spent most of my time with my new traveler friends, who are loving their time in Guatemala. It's been refreshing seeing this country through their eyes...everything is so novel and exciting, every experience a cultural one.

After Xela I spent a night with Lizzy and Kyle in their site, Chivarreto. Their site is really beautiful...the mountain views from their rooftop are awesome. Chivarreto is even equipped with it's own Hollywood-style "Chivarreto" sign built into the mountainside overlooking the town. We went to a vigilia (Evangelical vigil to give thanks to God) dinner at their neighbor's house where I was introduced to most of their town. Afterward Lizzy baked me birthday scones (which were delicious!) and we played cards. The next day I was off again, back to Zaragoza to see Melissa and Gatita, where we made and demolished the best potato nachos ever.

One more week until our "update" meeting on the 18th. I'm getting nervous. I have been constantly weighing my options and trying to prepare myself for what will come out of this. At the same time, I'm going to enjoy this last week as best I can, and just take it day by day.

One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment