"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Final Say Day: I'm going home!!

Just got the call from my APCD. I'm going back to Campur. Part of me still doesn't want to believe it. But it's happening. This Friday I'll be back in my site. I left on Deciember 21st to go home for Christmas. And 2 months 1 week later, I'm returning.

Sabiha and I spent the last few nights back at Monterrico (we figured we may as well spend the last part of this limbo living it up at the beach), and our last day there, walking along the beach, we both had the same thought: our lives are so crazy. This whole experience has been one of the least stable periods of my life; nothing was certain, and everything was apt to change in an instant. But now, coming out the other end of this mess, it's become clear to me that some good has come out of it all. By choice or not, I've spent the last two months traveling around this country, seeing things I never would have seen, meeting people I never would have met, and learning things I never would have learned. I've gone two months without privacy, without a home base, and without a plan. I've gone two months with two pairs of pants. This time has without a doubt been a true test of my patience, my stamina, and my ability to "go with it." But if nothing else, I'm coming out the other end much stronger. I've gained so much perspective about what I'm really here doing. And I've fallen in love with this country. I'm going back to my site excited as hell, and no challenges that await me there will dampen that.

2 comments:

  1. Yahoo!!! I'm so excited for you, Hannah! You ARE woman hear you roar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Hannah! I love that you say that you're going "home!" The locals in Campur will be thrilled to see you!!

    Yay!! Safe travels, my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete