"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dear Emma

Dear Emma,

Greetings from San Bartolome, Guatemala! I thought of you yesterday… I was watching TV at my host family’s relatives’ house (my “cousins” house) and an informercial came on in Spanish for the EasyWave oven (or whatever it's called). You should definitely consider making those 2 easy payments of $19.99.

Also thought you’d like to know, you won’t have to worry about being the pale sister this Thanksgiving. There are only two seasons in Guatemala, invierno, or winter (the rainy season) and verano, or summer, the dry season. Winter starts in June and runs through October, and then it’s summer for the rest of the year. So right now we get a few hours of sunlight, and then it rains. Everyday. And gets freakin’ cold at night (especially since I’m so far up in the mountains). Once training is over and I am allowed to travel, I plan on hopefully going to the coast to find a beach or two. Thought you’d be happy to hear that.

Love,

Hannah

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Hannah. I do hope that by some miracle I am more tan than you - more than that, i hope you are doing well. I am so proud of you. your blog is so wonderful. you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. ps. i am very tempted by this nuwave oven and with just two easy payments of 19.99 it seems way worth it. Can't wait to read more... :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete