"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Monday, May 24, 2010

"How much did that cost?"

...I'm SO tired of having to answer that question. Guatemalans LOVE this question. And Americans, especially this one, hate answering it. I understand that there's a cultural difference at work, but to me it's an intrusion of privacy and a great way to create an unnecessarily uncomfortable situation. But here, it's perfectly acceptable, and seemingly common to ask somebody how much they paid for something.

I face so many cultural differences on a daily basis, and for some reason, it's this question that really rubs me the wrong way. How much did I paid for the earrings I brought back from my day trip to Antigua? How much did it cost for me to fly here? How much money in dollars do my parents earn? How much did my computer cost? I have to practice so much self control to not scream back "It's none of your business!" I feel attacked by this question, mostly because of the stereotype of the rich gringos (Peace Corps volunteers, contrary to local belief, earn Quetzales, the local currency (NOT dollars), and make a VERY modest living...we are volunteers, after all). I realize that I come from a very privileged country and that here, the dollar goes a long way. But I don't need a daily reminder of this, especially when I'm here trying to do something good.

On a lighter note, I spent yesterday in Antigua with Elizabeth, a fellow trainee. It was really nice to get away from our training site for the day and enjoy the simple pleasures...cafe con leche, pay de mango a la mode, and falafel. The city is quite beautiful, and the Spanish influence is very apparent. The remains of the cathedrals and convents that were ruined in the earthquake of 1773 are really quite beautiful, as are the empty boulevards and well-kept central park. I was surprised how different Antigua seems from the rest of Guatemala (at least the Guatemala that I've experienced in the past month). It's quite touristy, therefore very few Guatemalans can afford to live there. Thus it's heavily populated with Gringos from the U.S., Germany, etc., and the prices of goods reflect that. I'm glad I got to experience it, though, and it will definitely be a great spot to get away and enjoy a few American pleasures. The nearby volcan de agua is a must-see, as well.

2 comments:

  1. hey hannah, how much did your face cost?

    also, my friend that is from Guatemala City is home for a few weeks this summer -- I hear something called "pacaya" erupted?? have you had any black sand rain in the mountains?

    ReplyDelete