"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dear Randall

Dear Randall,


Thanks for your chat in Atlanta…I was pretty messed up that night. Staging has been my least favorite part of this experience thus far...when I arrived here I talked to a current volunteer who told me that staging is often quite stressful because Washington (who’s in charge of staging) has very outdated information and has a tendency to freak volunteers out before getting on the plane to come here (nice, huh). Hence my nervous breakdown in Atlanta. Since arriving it’s been a lot better, although I miss everybody back home a lot. I expect these next few months to fly by though; the training schedule basically has us busy for 44 hours a week for the next 11 weeks, in Spanish/Mayan language training classes, working in my community’s school (I haven’t started this yet but I am very excited to get started!), and taking trips to visit current volunteers at their sites. I hope all is well in Chicago…keep in touch, friend!


Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment