"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dear Emily

E He!!

Thanks for your email! I have a feeling that the Guatemala I'm experiencing now during training is verrry different from the Guatemala you experienced last summer. PC keeps us on a pretty tight leash during training, both because training is so intensive and time-consuming, as well as for safety reasons. So traveling to the big cities and bar-going are pretty much out of the question for me until I've gotten through these next 11 weeks of training. We've been instructed to strictly avoid all street food (they say it's quite unsanitary), but I'll take your word for it and give some a try once I get a chance. Can't travel somewhere and not eat the street food, right?

I'm hoping to get to Antigua soon to see the city (and buy a cell phone!) and eat some good food. I've only been to the capitol on a short day trip, so I didn't see much. I've heard pretty scary things about how dangerous it can be, though.

Where exactly were you staying when you were here? How was your family? Mine is quite amable, although the 3-year-old can be a handful at times.

I'd love to hear suggestions for travel, and if you do end up visiting, we should travel somewhere together! Once I'm an official volunteer in July, I'd love to get to see more of this beautiful country!

Say hi to the big apple for me.

Ciao chica,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment