"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, May 21, 2010

Dear Greg

Dear Greg Mortenson,

This week I've been reading your wonderful book "Three Cups of Tea," and I wanted to thank you for sharing your story and your message. I'm finding so many parallels between your personal discoveries during your time working in Korphe and beyond to my experience here in Guatemala. In chapter 12, you wrote:

"We Americans thing you have to accomplish everything quickly. We're the country of thirty-minute power lunches and two-minute football drills...Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow down and make building relationships as important as building projects. He taught me that I had more to learn from the people I work with that I could ever hope to imagine."

In so many ways I'm finding it quite difficult to break out of my American habits and comfort zone and find the patience and flexibility I need to make my time here worthwhile. What you experienced in Korphe is exactly what the Peace Corps is all about--forming relationships and facilitating change, as slow as that change may seem. Reading about your struggles has really put everything here in perspective, and for that, I thank you!

Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, in the month or so that you have been in Guat, you have missed one HUGE event and that's Lost series finale..you better get to an internet cafe for days and watch alllllllll episodes!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bout this: if you mail me the episodes, I will watch them.

    ReplyDelete