"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, May 21, 2010

Dear Mom


Dear Mom,

Today we took a trip to Magdalena, a village outside of Santa Lucia (where the PC training center is located) to learn how to make fresh jalea, or jam. It really brought me back to when we used to jar jams together--it's such a process but the results are definitely worth it--and in my opinion, it's quite therapeutic. We made strawberry jam from 8 lbs of beautifully ripe strawberries (on a wood-burning stove no less!)...we only had to add a small amount of sugar. Between the preparation, stirring the cooking berries for 2 hours, sterilizing the jars, and finally canning the finished product, it took the entire morning. But it was SO worth it.

I'm really enjoying the work that goes into the food here...nothing is quick, and that's okay by me. Beans are made from dried beans (versus opening a can), juice is made from fresh fruit, and tortillas are made fresh daily next door (my Dona doesn't normally "tortear" herself, but she knows how and I can't wait to learn how!)

It's all making me excited about cooking for myself and learning the Guatemalan ways of making things. And when you come visit, we'll make jam together!

Love,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Ooh...the jam looks fabulous!! I love the thought of slowing down and enjoying people and food. As the school years comes to a close, I find myself running around like a crazed person. I envy you and your ongoing adventure/mission. You'll learn more than you could ever imagine. My teacher friend who spent 2 years in Africa said the process really taught her patience. Sounds like that's a big part of your journey too. Miss you and think of you a lot!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete