"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dear Liz

Dear Liz,

Thought I'd answer your question personally. It's hard to say exactly what I'll be doing quite yet. The basis of my project, Youth Development, is working with 13-15 year olds and their teachers and teaching about topics that don't get talked about in schools here (sex ed, HIV/Aids prevention, self-esteem, communication, relationships, career planning, etc.). The two volunteers that I've gotten a chance to speak with say that the curriculum is really effective, and the kids are really benefiting from it. Besides this main project, however, it falls on me to develop my own side projects (which will also depend a lot on the actual needs of the community I'm placed in). So I guess I can't say what I'll be doing.

How are you guys doing out there in Indy? I miss you chica!!

Write soon,
Hannah

2 comments:

  1. THAT SOUNDS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is gonna be sweet. everything is going very well here in indy...i may or may not be getting a letter to you in the mail in a few days....i am currently waiting on one little part that i havent had the time to do yet...is there anything you miss having in guatemala? like omg i really need oreos or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. they sell most everything here, actually...including oreos (and peanut butter)! but yay for mail! and only because you asked, potbelly's. i miss potbelly's. but please do not send me a potbelly's sub in the mail.

    ReplyDelete