"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Friday, May 28, 2010

Dear Everyone

Dear Friends and Family,

I've already received some worried emails, and just wanted to say that I'm okay! Safe and sound. Yesterday Volcan Pacaya erupted, a volcano right outside of Antigua (so pretty close to me...and Guatemala city...apparently there's ash everywhere). All schools in my district were canceled today, and a reporter was killed by a falling burning rock (the only reported death so far); thousands have been evacuated, and many have lost their homes.

It's kind of crazy to live in a place where volcanic eruptions and tremors are commonplace...it's really nothing I've ever experienced being from the good-ole Midwest. It just amazes me that two of Guatemala's largest cities are bordered by an active volcano.

Will update--

Love,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you are safe and sound! Pretty scary stuff. Thank you for letting us know. I hadn't heard about the eruption, but GMa Kay called and was quite concerned. Keep us posted.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete