"If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time. But if you have come here because your liberation is bound up in mine, then let us work together" -Lilla Watson, Aboriginal Activist

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sick day

Dear Mom,

Why is it that even though I'm 23 years old, whenever I get sick away from home all I want is my Mommy? Haha. Welll, sunday night, after getting back from Guatemala City with my host sister and co., I got sick. Realll sick. Diarrhea and GI issues are number 1 on the Peace Corps' list of volunteer medical problems, so I guess I can't be that surprised. But damn, I can't remember a stomach flu or food poisoning that measured up to this. I was up all night, and on Monday morning called the Peace Corps medical staff. They talked to my host mom, too, who's apparently a nurse. She gave me a shot of Dramamine in my rear...wasn't fun, but made me feel better and let me sleep through most of the day. I'm still on a toast/boiled potato diet and am pushing the Gatorade to avoid serious dehydration. I'm sure this won't be the last time either. Food/water contamination here is an everyday reality. Here they have something called "La mala de mayo," since during May the rains begin, and wash down all sorts of contamination from farms, etc., into the living areas. So during the month of May particularly there's a much higher risk of water/food contamination, and people get sick.

I'm still quite weak, and my senora is quite concerned with how "delgadita," or thin I am. But poco a poco I'm feeling better and hoping to be back to my normal self soon.

Love you,

Hannah

4 comments:

  1. Hannah banana, the big fat wana...I'm so sorry you feel so sick. I hope you get better! I'm thinking the solution to your "delgadita-ness" is to eat a guinea pig or something like that. As far as you being there for the right reasons (last post), let's get real here. You have alwaysssss wanted to do this and there was/is nothing that's stopping you. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. None of us could do what you are doing. Love youuuuuu! Call me when you aren't puking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hannah,
    Oh, my...no fun! I'm glad you are on the mend and being carefully watched. I wish I could be there to pamper you, but sounds like you are in good hands. Can you drink bottled water until the rainy season ends??? Let me know how you are doing. Love you too, Mom
    Hi Hannah
    I'm so sorry you're feeling lousy. Take it easy, get lots of rest, drink lots of gatorade, and think bad thought about Montezuma. Don't be shy about calling the PC doctors if you need them. We're thinking of you all the time. Let us know how you're doing.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dom. You guys are the best. Miss you lots, and I will call asap...still need to buy a phone!

    Mom--I'll be drinking bottled water permanently here, so don't worry. We have strict instructions from the med staff about where to find clean water and how to clean our food, etc. I hope I don't get this sick again either!
    Miss you too, Dad..I'll call you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you will be drinking safe water...phew. I think I'd even brush my teeth with it. Enjoy the weekend...hope you're doing something fun!

    ReplyDelete